On February 6th, the Massachusetts State Senate Released an Exciting Omnibus Mental Health Bill – SB 2519 An Act Addressing Barriers to Care for Mental Health.
- Enforcement and strengthening of mental health parity laws;
- Reforms to medical necessity and prior authorization requirements so that clinicians have a bigger role in determining the medical necessity of treatment;
- Parity for insurance coverage of Emergency Service Providers so that private insurers cover the use of their services;
- Ensures that emergency departments have the capacity at all times to evaluate and stabilize a person admitted with mental health conditions;
- A study to review the availability of culturally competent mental health care providers within networks of both public and private health care insurers;
- Coverage for same day care of both mental health and physical health treatment.