Text Size:


Compass Logo

Navigating the mental healthcare system can be complicatedwe help individuals and families affected by mental health issues find their way.

The NAMI Mass Compass is operated by peers and family members who have dealt with these issues first hand. Navigators are available to answer a wide range of questions and refer to NAMI support & education programs and other community resources.

Common Questions & Topics Include…

  • Where to find support (Peer and Family)
  • How to access treatment
  • Employment Issues
  • Police & Legal System 
  • Housing programs & questions
  • Managing financial stress
  • NAMI Education Programs 
  • Substance Use 
  • Discharge Rights 
  • Transportation
  • Insurance Issues & Questions
  • Benefits 
  • Youth & Transition
  • and much more!


Please call us at (617) 704-NAMI (6264) or toll-free, (800) 370-9085 Monday-Friday 9 am to 5 pm and a NAMI Mass Compass Navigator will email or call you back with more information.

Below are some frequently used resources that may help you find what you are looking for. Please give us a call or send an email to COMPASS@namimass.org so we can help you find additional resources.

If you or your loved one is in immediate danger of harming self or someone else, please call (877) 382-1609 and dial your zip code when prompted to get the 24/hour phone number for your local Emergency Psychiatric Service Provider.

Every city/town in Massachusetts is covered by a local Emergency Psychiatric Service Provider or ESP–Sometimes called a “Crisis Team”. Every ESP is clinically staffed and can be reached by phone toll free 24 hours/day 7 days/week. ESPs are better trained to handle mental health crises than police or emergency room staff. If you are feeling unsafe you can call your local ESP and speak to a clinician who will help you assess the situation and provide assistance if needed. Be prepared to briefly describe what is happening right now that is putting your life or your loved ones life in danger.

ESPs do their best to keep people in the community and out of the hospital. They can do mobile crisis intervention for adults and youth, which means going to homes, schools, places of work, etc. to work with people where a crisis is happening, instead of in a hospital setting.

You can also find out which ESP program covers your town with this directory: ESP Statewide Directory (6.5.15) (PDF)

If you are a client of the Department of Mental Health (DMH) and need to get in touch with your case manager, use this DMH Site Directory to find your local area office’s phone number and other useful contact information. dmh-resource-guide (2015) (Word)

If you are looking for substance use treatment in Massachusetts, you can use this search engine to locate different services, from detox to sober living to peer support, or call (800) 327-5050 for assistance finding appropriate help.

If you need help understanding your housing options, applying for public housing, or resolving a housing issue, a Housing Consumer Education Center (HCEC) may be able to help. HCECs can answer a wide range of  housing questions, some hold workshops for landlords and tenants, some do case management and options counseling. You can find the HCEC that covers your area here or browse their resource library.

If you are looking for legal help in Massachusetts, use this search engine developed by Mass Legal Services to find legal aid by topic. The Legal Resource Finder will give you contact information for legal aid programs, other non profits, government agencies and court based programs that may be able to help you with your legal issue. It will also give you links to legal information and self-help materials about your issue.