- help answer calls and emails
- use the COMPASS database to log information and locate resources
- help maintain the resource records in the database and research new resources
- help with assessments, surveys, and other special projects
Essential skills and qualifications for volunteer Navigators include:
- first-hand experience navigating the mental health system for yourself or a family member
- practical knowledge of the Massachusetts mental health system
- comfortable communicating with people by phone and email
- good computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office, email, and internet searching
- a positive attitude and ability to work effectively as a team member
- patience and understanding for people dealing with stressful situations
We ask for COMPASS volunteers to commit to one 4-hour shift a week, for at least 6 months, at the NAMI Mass office in Charlestown. The office is easily accessible by the MBTA and free parking is available.
COMPASS volunteers will receive training in use of the phone system and resource database, how to handle calls and emails, and how to locate resources. Volunteers will also receive regular support and supervision from program staff and senior volunteers.
Want to train to become a volunteer COMPASS navigator? Complete our volunteer application, and we’ll be in touch shortly!