NAMI implemented new Standards of Excellence for re-affiliation that included a requirement that each affiliate nominate an Affiliate Advocacy Representative. NAMI Massachusetts has defined the role for volunteer Affiliate Advocacy Representatives in Massachusetts.
Affiliate Advocacy Representatives
Affiliate Advocacy Representative Role Description
- 1-2 hours per month on average
- This may vary – during the busy times of the legislative cycle, it may be more. At other times is will be very quiet.
- Participate in and assist with grassroots advocacy trainings
- Forward action alerts and generate prompt responses (email, phone, hearing attendance, etc.)
- Bring local advocacy issues to the attention of the NAMI Mass Advocacy Committee
- Assist in nurturing local legislative champions & local grassroots advocates
- Cultivate relationships with local stakeholders, government officials and media
- NAMI Member
- Interest in mental health policy and advocacy issues